Former general accused in Hariri case PDF Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   
Monday, 20 September 2010 14:29

Sayyed was one of the four generals detained for four years without trial over Hariri's assassination.
A former Lebanese security official has been accused of fabricating evidence to blame Hezbollah in the assassination of former premier Rafiq Hariri.
Okab Sakr, a close aide to Prime Minister Saad Hariri, charged that Jamil Sayyed fabricated a story alleging Hezbollah involvement in the terror operation, a Press TV correspondent reported on Monday.

In 2005, Rafiq Hariri was killed in a massive car bombing in Beirut.

Sakr, an MP from Hariri's March 14 alliance, said that Sayyed had fabricated the account supplied to and published by the prominent German magazine Der Spiegel last year.

This comes after Sayyed accused Saad Hariri, the slain premier's son, of backing false witnesses to the UN tribunal investigating the murder.

Sayyed was one of the four generals detained for four years without trial over Hariri's assassination.

The UN Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) was set up by the world body and the Lebanese government in May 2007 to investigate the case.

In July, Hezbollah Secretary General Seyyed Hassan Nasrallah said that he had been informed by Hariri of the STL's plan to implicate a number of the resistance movement's members in connection with the case.

Hezbollah has fiercely rejected the allegations, describing the tribunal as an "Israeli project."

AGB/AKM/MB

 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh